Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gymless Intervals in the Summer, Part 1


I choose to spend my Saturday mornings outside with my ipod and the sunshine. The majority of the year I am not able to do so since Sean is either gone quite early or on the road. So, instead of sleeping in this summer, I am going to take advantage of this and get my workout done outside and at various places in Orange County.

My workout this morning took 38 minutes door to door. I left my house and ran to "the hill", or as my friend Jenn calls it "bitch hill" because yes it is just that. It took me about 15 minutes to get there and then the fun began. I did 3 X 45 second sprints (max heart rate 178) up the hill, stood there for a few seconds and then a very slow wobbly walk back to the bottom (heart rate recovered to 128).

view from the top


view from the ground as I laid right there on the dirt path after interval #3


If you live in Anaheim Hills or really anywhere in Orange County, you are able to find some good hills for sprints. My route back home still had a very large and long hill I had to conquer. At this point, mind games are needed to keep going. I told myself to run to the light post and then walk to the next street sign and so on all the way up. Heart rate remained pretty high the rest of the way.

There you have it, a great get outside and get it done workout. This is part 1 with many more outdoor workouts to come. What a great way to start a weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment