Friday, June 10, 2011

Weekend to do list: Bed Bath & Beyond


You hear it all the time that the serving sizes in America are outrageous. We all know this and recognize we need to eat less. But how much less? What does an actual 1/2 cup of rice look like or 4 ounces of chicken for your salad? If you have never measured or weighed your food, now may be the time.

Take some advice from Frank the Tank and spend your weekend at Bed Bath & Beyond. Invest a little money on a food scale and get familiar with what different serving sizes actually look like on your plate. Once you are able to eyeball this, then put the scale away. There is no need to obsessively measure your food. After you have spent a week measuring your food, you will be an expert at knowing exactly what food weighs.

Here is what 4 ounces of chicken actually looks like. Would you have guessed that? Do you know how much calories, fat and protein is in 4 ounces?

4 ounces Chicken
roughly 185 calories
4 grams fat
0 grams carbs
35 grams protein

I have a pretty good sense of food portion sizes but occasionally I will take my scale out and measure my food. I do this simply as a self check. I know when I am making my meal on an empty stomach my portion sizes may be affected by my grumbling tummy. If it is time to tighten up the diet than invest in a food scale and spend a little time learning your portion sizes.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a whole breast, is it? I had a kitchen scale but I can't find it.

    ReplyDelete