Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mary Mary How Does Your Garden Grow... of fitness tools that is

I have heard people in the fitness community who say you can't get in shape by working out from home. Oh yea, I will prove you wrong... this was a picture from back in 2008 (ignore the date on the picture, my camera was incorrectly set) taken a few months after I had followed a consistent training program, from home.



My first competition


With the right program and diet anything is possible even from within the confines of your own home. You do need to have some tools to help you achieve a lean physique.

The first tool I acquired was the Iron Gym. I have since replaced this with a gym quality squat rack (has a chin up bar as part of it's structure) but before I invested in a quality rack, this Iron Gym was a permanent fixture in our doorway.


What other tools do you need? Dumbbells ranging from 10-30lbs depending on level of course, bench (I started with a Reebok step, plain old step aerobics bench), and a stability ball. That is it! That was exactly what I started with. As my body changed, I invested in more dumbbells and fitness tools. I eventually purchased a very inexpensive squat rack (make sure it is not attached to a bench) and went on craigslist for plates and bar. This was replaced a few years later with a better quality rack.

What did my workouts first look like? Here is an example..

Warm Up- jump rope 10 minutes
Movement Prep

Strength Training

A1: DB Squats
A2: Chin Ups check out this post for help getting you up over that bar

B1: Reverse Lunges
B2: Push Ups

C1: Stability Ball Knee In
C2: Stability Ball Leg Curl

Intervals

Stretch and Foam Roll


So, as you can tell it doesn't take much to workout from home. As your body changes and grows so does your gym. The results are the same, gym or home training, it's the program, diet and dedication that dictate your results.

No comments:

Post a Comment